Whether you’re brand-new to cooking or a seasoned home chef, the slow-cooker can be your best friend as you work to transform your life. Because it does most of the work for you, it makes healthy cooking a whole lot easier. Today, we have three BBS slow-cooker recipes for you to try!
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Shredded cheddar, if desired
- Sliced green onion, if desired
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and pepper and cook until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked. Season with salt and pepper then stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker.
- Place tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, and oregano in slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours until the chili has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cheese and green onion if desired.
Kale and Quinoa Soup
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- Place quinoa, tomatoes, beans, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves into a slow cooker. Stir in vegetable broth and 2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. Stir in kale until wilted.
- Serve immediately.
Slow-Cooker Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ lb. fresh green beans, trimmed (about 2.5 cups)
- 1 ¼ lb. diced red potatoes (about 4 cups)
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Place the chicken in the center of your slow cooker. Add the green beans on one side and the potatoes on the other.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic cloves.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken, green beans, and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
We hope you’ll enjoy these healthy slow-cooker recipes. For more recipes and tips for healthy living, subscribe to the blog and check out our Facebook page!